The Gardens

The Burnley Gardens in Richmond date back to 1861 when the Horticulture Society of Victoria established experimental gardens. The aim was to introduce new plants to the colonies, and to promote botanical and horticultural science.

The land was granted to the Society on the basis that a portion of the gardens remain open to the public and this has continued to the present day. See A brief history to continue the story…

The Luffman Lily Ponds in 2012. Photo by Andrew Smith