The FOBG is a welcoming group of friends and neighbours of the Burnley Gardens, including former and present students and staff of the Burnley Campus, who love gardens and gardening. We are dedicated to supporting the historic Burnley Gardens, and we have a lot of fun in doing so!
Special interest this week:
- BOTANICAL ILLUSTRATION CLASSES The FOBG present a 6 week course of Botanical Art Workshops with botanical artist Mali Moir. The workshops will run from Wednesday 22 July – 26 August 2015 (6 weeks), from 10 am – 1pm (with instructor) + optional free time until 3 pm. See Current and upcoming for more details.
- WINTER PLANT SALE
It’s June, and winter is really here. The Friends have a winter recess from their regular activities this month, but don’t forget our WINTER PLANT SALE will be held on Sunday July 26th, from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm (to coincide with the Campus Open House Day). See Plant sales nearer to the date for the Plant List.
- AAFBG BIENNIAL CONFERENCE
Very advanced notice for next years’ AAFBG biennial conference. It will be held in Geelong, and has an environmental/sustainability emphasis. Visit News and events from other groups to download the flyer. .
- ADVANCE NOTICE: A NEW SHORT COURSE AT BURNLEY
This one should prove very popular! The topic is URBAN FOOD GROWING, and to whet your appetite, here is a short blurb:
: This unique course provides a comprehensive guide to growing food successfully in an urban environment. It offers depth of knowledge and learning to the field of urban food growing and gives participants the opportunity to develop their skills and build on their knowledge in order to grow and harvest a wide range of herbs, vegetables, fruits and berries (including unusual edibles) like a professional, all year round.
Watch the page Courses offered at Burnley Campus in the near future for more details.
- MEMBERS’ PROGRAM
The latest Members’ Program is available to download – see Calendar.
- LIBRARY HOURS
Library hours that had been reduced have been restored, by popular demand (thanks to the students). General access will now be Monday – Friday 9.00 – 5.00. Students with access cards can also get into the study room from 7.00 am to 9.00 pm.
and from our colleagues elsewhere…
- WINTER LUNCHEONS
These must be all the rage this year! We have invitations to two!
- from Buninyong Botanic Gardens
– from the Friends of Geelong Botanic Gardens See News and events from other groups for details of both.
The latest newsletter to arrive is a FIRST EDITION of Dovyalis, the new newsletter of the Friends of Bendigo Botanic Gardens, and it’s a beauty, full of interest. Be sure to take a look.
Three other newsletters arrived recently, from Melton Botanic Gardens, from Williamstown Botanic Gardens, and excitingly, for the first time a newsletter from DARWIN! They look as if they have almost as much fun as we do, and there are some terrific wild life pics! See Others’ newsletters. (The newsletters are listed alphabetically, so you may have to scroll to find these.)
- BALLARAT BOTANIC GARDENS
Interested int the Ballarat Botanic Gardens? You are invited to a day of presentations, guided walks, and lunch. See News and events from other groups for all the details.
VALE Pam Fordham
Members will be deeply saddened to hear of the death on the 15th of May of Pam Fordham, wife of the previous President of the FOBG, John Fordham. Many of us know John primarily through his “Tree Tours”, and some of us knew John and Pam and their boys more personally. Pam was well regarded for her exceptional botanical art work, and also for her wonderful slices that she baked for FOBG members on John’s Tree Tours. On behalf of all members we extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to John and his family.
- the Gardens are open to the public, to explore, enjoy and relax in.
- you can book a tour of the Gardens for your group, escorted by our knowledgeable Friendly Guides
- or print out a copy of our brochure guide to the Gardens, and take your own self-guided walk.
- you can help our hard-working Committee by paying for any special events or outings in advance. Visit Payments for details.
- you can hire the Gardens as a stunning setting for your wedding or special gathering.
Andrew Smith is the manager of the Gardens, and our University liaison contact. Phone Andrew on 03 9035 6861 or 0417 322 657 for general enquiries, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To hire the Gardens for your occasion, email Ross Payne email@example.com
Parking is available on the Yarra Boulevard for Burnley Campus events, or on Campus if you have a Disabled Parking Permit.
Banner photos: left Sue Murphy, centre and right Burnley Plant Guide Background: Syzygium smithii, from the Burnley Plant Guide Website created and maintained by the Friends of Burnley Gardens Contact firstname.lastname@example.org Last updated 04.06.2015