The FOBG is a welcoming group of friends and neighbours of the Burnley Gardens, including former and present students and staff of the Burnley Campus, who love gardens and gardening. We are dedicated to supporting the historic Burnley Gardens, and we have a lot of fun in doing so!
Special interest this week:
Happy New Year to all our members!
- The New FOBG Year will kick off in our traditional manner with a Valentine’s Day
dinner, on Saturday 14th February. The evening will include a talk on plants in cemeteries by Kevin Walsh that promises to be very interesting. See Current and up-coming to download the brochure with all the details for your fridge.
- In March, on Wednesday 11 we will hear about that wonderful herb garlic, in a talk entitled Garlic the Great, with herb expert Penny Woodward.
and from our colleagues elsewhere…
- A TALK BY RICHARD BARLEY, Horticultural Director of Kew Botanic Gardens in the UK, formerly of our own RBGM, and a Burnley Graduate should be very interesting indeed. See News and events from other groups for details.
- FRIENDS OF HAMILTON BOTANIC GARDENS Have been busy. Their summer newsletter is available for your summer reading (don’t forget these newsletter are listed alphabetically).
Meanwhile a couple of reminders
CHANGES TO LIBRARY HOURS
Those that use the library at Burnley should note a change to the hours in 2015. The library will be open for only 20 hours per week, Tuesday to Friday, from 1.00 pm to 6.00 pm. .
AWARDS FOR TWO FRIENDS
October 20 was a great day for horticulture, with two Burnley alumni Dr Anne Vale and Sandi Pullman receiving awards in separate categories in the Victorian Community History Awards. Anne was awarded the Victorian Community History Award for the most outstanding community history project in any category, with her 2013 book Exceptional Australian Garden Makers, while Sandi accepted the Historical Interpretation Award on behalf of the Friends of La Trobe’s Cottage, for their work in recreating Charles and Sophie La Trobe’s garden The Garden at LaTrobe’s Cottage, Kings Domain.
Read more from Sandi about these great achievements in our Spring Newsletter.
- the Gardens are open to the public, to explore, enjoy and relax in.
- you can book a tour of the Gardens for your group, escorted by our knowledgeable Friendly Guides
- or print out a copy of our brochure guide to the Gardens, and take your own self-guided walk.
- you can help our hard-working Committee by paying for any special events or outings in advance. Visit Payments for details.
- you can hire the Gardens as a stunning setting for your wedding or special gathering.
Andrew Smith is the manager of the Gardens, and our University liaison contact. Phone Andrew on 03 9035 6861 or 0417 322 657 for general enquiries, or email email@example.com
To hire the Gardens for your occasion, email Ross Payne firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking is available on the Yarra Boulevard for Burnley Campus events, or on Campus if you have a Disabled Parking Permit.
Banner photos: left Sue Murphy, centre and right Burnley Plant Guide Background: Sedum spectabile, from the Burnley Plant Guide Website created and maintained by the Friends of Burnley Gardens Contact email@example.com Last updated 21.01.2015