The FOBG is a welcoming group of friends and neighbours of the Burnley Gardens, including former and present students and staff of the Burnley Campus, who love gardens and gardening. We are dedicated to supporting the historic Burnley Gardens, and we have a lot of fun in doing so!
Special interest this week:
- Try to make time to visit the Library in Swanston St to view Linda Tegg’s installation Grasslands for the Melbourne Festival. All the plants on display were grown by Burnley’s John Delpratt and his helpers.
- An invitation to FOBG members from the Friends of RBGM
The Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne will be holding their biennial botanical art exhibition The Art of Botanical Illustration 2014 from 25 October to 9 November 2014. See News and events from other groups for more information.
- The good folks at the National Trust are holding their first-ever Spring Garden Festival, at Ripponlea. Visit our Promotions page to read all about it.
- Full details are now available of our tour of the grasslands and wildflowers of the Western Plains, led by Burnley Fellow John Delpratt (on Saturday October 25th.October). See Current and up-comimg.to download the flyer.
- Check out the new coloured map of Burnley Gardens, courtesy of Rod MacMillan. It looks very nice – thanks Rod! (Look for it under The Gardens – Map of Burnley Gardens).
- A downloadable FOBG program for the rest of the year, and a glimpse into next year… See our Calendar page.
- Print a copy of the flyer Chris England’s December workshop on espalier fruit trees, and for our End-of-year dinner and talk, with Philip Johnson (winner of “best in show” at Chelsea, no less),. See Current and up-coming.
- Herb Society membership. The FOBG is now a member of the Herb Society, which meets at Burnley, on the first Thursday of the month, in MB10 at 7.30 pm (so the next meeting will be this Thursday. 4th September.) The Society has a borrowing library, and a monthly newsletter (in hard copy), which you can see at our monthly meeting. You can link to their website from our page Links to other groups. Thanks to Treasurer Jane Wilson for arranging this membership.
- The Friends of Ballarat Botanic Gardens present Gardens in Spring. See News and Events from Other Groups for more information.
- Bendigo Native Plant Group present The 10th FJC Rogers Seminar on “Brachychiton and Allied Genera” on 18-19 October. See News and Events from Other Groups for more information.
- the Gardens are open to the public, to explore, enjoy and relax in.
- you can book a tour of the Gardens for your group, escorted by our knowledgeable Friendly Guides
- you can help our hard-working Committee by paying for any special events or outings in advance. Visit Payments for details.
- you can hire the Gardens as a stunning setting for your wedding or special gathering.
- OUR REGULAR WORKING BEES on the 4th Monday of each month, starting at 9.30 am. Please phone Andrew to confirm you are coming (contact details below).
Andrew Smith is the manager of the Gardens, and our University liaison contact. Phone Andrew on 03 9035 6861 or 0417 322 657 for general
enquiries and bookings, or email email@example.com
Parking is available on the Yarra Boulevard for Burnley Campus events, or on Campus if you have a Disabled Parking Permit.
Banner photos: left Sue Murphy, centre and right Burnley Plant Guide Background: Rhododendron sp., from the Burnley Plant Guide Website created and maintained by the Friends of Burnley Gardens Contact firstname.lastname@example.org Last updated 02.09.2014